February 18, 2005

Jack Aubrey V. Horatio Hornblower

Well, since the entire beehive is buzzing (oh, that was cheesy) about this all-important debate, I guess I have to post my opinion. :-)
I really liked Master and Commander, but I liked Hornblower lots too. Master and Commander is better produced (I agree about the cool music, Sheildmaiden), has more in the way of interesting interaction between charecters, and also (a big plus in my eyes) is not as gory as Hornblower. One does not come away with that nasty quesy feeling. However, the Hornblower movies have more in the way of storyline, go into a little more detail on the strategies etc, and Hornblower is also just a really cool guy, a much more interesting (and worthy) character than Jack Aubrey. (satisfied, Great Scot?)
It also helps that he's a lot cuter. :-)
Oooh, oooh, I know, we could make a movie! It could be one of those one-super hero-battles-another-while-we-watch-in-awe movies! Ya know, like Alien v. Predator? I can just see the big shiny poster now-- "Jack Aubrey v. Horatio Hornblower, now showing in a theater near you!"

No comments: