February 18, 2005

HH vs. The Imposter

Given the posts from The Shieldmaiden and Fa-so-la-la, I must interject that I was not referring, in my commentary below, about the video-cation of my admired Hornblower. I was referring to the real deal in the novels about HH and not the "reel" deal as discussed by my progeny. As a result, the music within the respective shows and the relative "cuteness" of the lead character and the comparative film quality is wholly irrelevant in my humble opinion.

However, in a discussion of the two actual characters, Jack Aubrey is a crass comparison to the Indomitable Hornblower. As a swashbuckling story, I will admit that the Aubrey tales have their place. The problem with Aubrey is that he truly is an upwardly grubbing sailor who will largely do anything to advance his career and personal wealth. In comparison, HH, in all of the stories written about him, is constantly acting against his personal interest in an effort to advance the interests of his country, ship and shipmates.

HH is an admirable and noble character in the vein of myth and legend, while Jack Aubrey is the self-centered adventurer who is likely more representative of the real sea captains of that particular era. Since I am not reading these tales out of a desire for reality regarding this era, I will always defer to the true hero of the English Navy.

HH must have been a Scot, or at least he must have longed to be one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Great Scot, I agree with everything you say about the characters themselves. Hornblower has definite positive virtues, whereas with Jack it's more lack of negative ones.

beatrice said...

So do I!
Despite certain "rumors" I quite agree about HH & Jack.
They both have their evils, but "In the navy, we always choose the lesser of two weevils!"
But, my point still remains about the music, and I like it that Master & Commander gets moreinto the minds of the crew members.

Anonymous said...

three cheers, though I can't stand either of the books, partly because both are a little INTERESTING in spots, and partly because they are just plain...boring ;-) (Sorry Great Scott, but for a girl weaned on Jane Austen, the characters and conversation are a bit flat)As far as the movies go, I LOVE both, though I prefer M&C

Anonymous said...

IMPOSTER!!!!!!
What are you talking about? All right, the HH books are better that the J.A. books. The latter is a little loose in his morals, but in the movie he is perfect.
Aubrey inspires his men, is noble, faithful, ect.
And he is very, very handsome!!!!
(But not as much as Cary Grant or Jimmy Stewart, the hottest men in Hollywood!)