February 28, 2005

The First Poet

Queen Shenaynay

Recently a bright young high school student wrote to me questioning the idea that reading and trying to decipher poetry would add anything to him. Corresponding with him has had me thinking a lot about the reasons poetry is important.

Should Christians care about poetry? I think so.

Much of the Bible was written as poetry, and some passages are actually quite complex poetic forms in the original. Believe it or not, like it or not, poetry matters to God. Scripture is God-breathed, therefore God is the original Poet. Poetry took root as God moved upon His people to use language to express His glory in the most beautiful way possible. If it weren't for God granting humans a gift for poetry, we would have no praises to sing, no hymnals,no lullabies, no book of Psalms (as well as many, many other passages of the Bible).

Poetry is the highest expression of order and beauty in the use of language. Consider that God's entire universe, from the most immense galactic configurations to the most minute microbiological organisms, reflects the astonishing, breathtaking importance He places on the qualities of both order and beauty in all created things. Then consider the immense value God places on words... so much so that His son is named the LOGOS -- the Word. When you weigh all these things together, you begin to crack the surface of the meaning of poetry in the Christian life.

Reading and deciphering poetry sharpens our use of language, makes us more precise, elevates our grasp of expression, helps us become more adept at choosing words fitly spoken, and hones our ability to comprehend the beauty of scripture -- and that's just the beginning. All of these things enable us to share the gospel, to express the love of Christ, and to tell the story of redemption with words suitable for such glorious tidings.

3 comments:

X said...

Ok, now that you have shown how it is useful for me in 'deciphering' the Bible and comprehending it. How is it useful in the world? (Sorry, I should have been more specific when I asked you the first time. I knew that poetry was in Bible and to understand it, taking a poetry class would be helpful. Especially when I don’t like poetry) Also, authors sometimes use poetic license in which they are not grammatical in their ways. I have heard a student say this to his teacher when he had to learn punctuation. The teacher replied, "Yes but you have to know the rules to break them". I think this is a weak answer, but it does bring up the point that not all poetry is correct. Why then would that poem be good to study when you would ‘learn’ how to break a writing rule or know not that is incorrect and then use it somewhere else.

X said...

Your daughter has posted three posts since Sunday. Do you not have enough school for her to do? I thought that your home school was hard. :)

X said...

Thank you great scot. Your answer was what I have been looking for. Though I never intend to write anything, I know that I will have to write. Your answer gave just me what I needed to see so that I would understand the real world implications and not just what it pertains to God. Though not really a debate question, but a search for truth I have found in this. Queen She-nay-nay, I will be glad to 'debate' on something more debatable rather than something I don't understand.

Thanks to all for contributing.