May 26, 2005

A Few Songs

Here are some songs I have run across lately that I thought were especially good--

Seven Wonders, by Nickel Creek--

When shadows fall, he'll close his eyes
To hear the clocks unwind
Powerless to leash the hands of time

Kingdoms fall, the earth revolves
The rain will come this spring
And nothing he could say would change a thing

Seven wonders crowed the man
Knowing six are gone
And how the great illusion lingers on

He can't enfold the sun or moon
Or wind within his hands
But count the times he'll shout the great I Am

With all the while a pontiff smile
Veiling his disgrace
At never owning more than second place



This Side, again by Nickel Creek :-) --

One day you'll see her and you'll know what I mean.
Take her or leave her she will still be the same.
She'll not try to buy you with her time
But nothing's the same, as you will see when she's gone.

It's foreign on this side,
And I'll not leave my home again.
There's no place to hide
And I'm nothing but scared.

You dream of colors that have never been made,
You imagine songs that have never been played.
They will try to buy you and your mind.
But only the curious have something to find.

It's foreign on this side,
And the truth is a bitter friend.
But reasons few have I
To go back again.

Your first dawn blinded you, left you cursing the day.
Entrance is crucial and it's not without pain.
There's no path to follow, once you're here.
You'll climb up the slide and then you'll slide down the stairs.

It's foreign on this side,
But it feels like I'm home again.
There's no place to hide
But I don't think I'm scared


And last but certainly not least, Shifting Sand by Caedmon's Call--

Sometimes I believe all the lies
So I can do the things I should despise
And every day I am swayed
By whatever is on my mind

I hear it all depends on my faith
So I'm feeling precarious
The only problem I have with these mysteries
Is they're so mysterious

And like a consumer I've been thinking
If I could just get a bit more
More than my 15 minutes of faith,
Then I'd be secure

My faith is like shifting sand
Changed by every wave
My faith is like shifting sand
So I stand on grace

I've begged you for some proof
For my Thomas eyes to see
A slithering staff, a leperous hand
And lions resting lazily

A glimpse of your back-side glory
And this soaked altar going ablaze
But you know I've seen so much
I explained it away

Waters rose as my doubts reigned
My sand-castle faith, it slipped away
Found myself standing on your grace
It'd been there all the time

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the song "Seven Wonders"; it is so profound. One interesting thing about it is that it never mentions God and yet it is all about him and his supremacy. Good musicianship as well, but who could expect less from Nickel Creek?

fa-so-la-la said...

That's what was so amazing about Reasons Why, a song on their first album. It could be taken as a song about love gone off track, but a Christian can see that it's really about straying from God.

Anonymous said...

I came across this song that is I believe on an album Nickel Creek made before they became "Nickel Creek" as a band. The lyrics are great but they are best with the music. Maybe I'll burn you a copy.

"Found Soul"

I'm in the darkness and losing my soul
I am sinning out of control
It's gonna kill me, it's bringin' me down
I am lost I cannot be found.

But in the darkness I see a light
I draw closer for a sight
I see the Savior with arms open wide
I am weary but I walk to His side

It feels so good know I'm free
From the sin that holds onto me
For I am a found soul
I am a found soul

Now I'm no longer a slave of the sin that brings me pain
A lowly soldier, that's what I am
Dressed in the armor of Jesus name

It feels so good to know I'm free
From the sin that holds onto me
For I am a found soul
For I am a found soul