January 4, 2007

Wow. Notice how Moses introduces the concept of the thesis statement:

“And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.”
~ Genesis 1



q. shenaynay

There you have it, the perfect summation -- for what do the the remaining 66 books do? They tell the how and why (and through whom!) of this very thing: the dividing of light from darkness, and the goodness of that light. And in that brief statement, Moses also lets us know that God and God alone is the One who does it.

Mercy me, how I love a perfectly worded statement. Spare clarity has an elegance that gives words the clean power to transfer a living idea from one mind to another. The King James Bible is practically a textbook on elegant phrasing.

If you were asked to write a thesis statement for the Bible, could you have done it with a mere seventeen words?

(And isn't it astounding how every time you re-read the Bible, you will notice different things than you did in previous readings?)

4 comments:

Owl of the Desert said...

How amazing! I was just looking at that verse last night (we were discussing the seperating of the waters a little further below). I thought, how cool - a little summary of the Bible right here at the beginning. Even his writing is perfection.

And, it is pretty neato catching new things...I don't think I caught last time around how violent (and totally COOL!) 1 & 2 Kings & 1 & 2 Sammuel are.

Luci1 said...

Hi,
I've discovered your blog and must say I am SO enjoying reading it. Your family is lovely and VERY cool (or hip, if you'd rather). It's interesting to peer over the shoulder of a mom w/2 pretty girlie girls (I'd say). I'm not forgetting your son, of course, but for me, a mom of 3 young sons, it's neat to see what life won't be like for me!

BTW, enjoyed the Moses commentary...very, very true. Will share w/my husband tonight!
Thanks,
Luci

Anonymous said...

You know, I can't say that I ever thought about that sentence as a thesis for the whole Bible, but wow, so very very true. Wow. Elegantly put, Queen Lynn.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Wonderful! Thank you!