January 7, 2006

Confession

Fa-So-La-La

I, Fa-So-La-la, have, in the last fifteen months, seen six movies in a theater. And in the next few months I will see at least three more. Such dissipation!

The trouble started with The Incredibles waaaay back in October of 04... I little realised then what a slippery path I had set my feet on. I mean, come on! It was a kid's movie!

All went smoothly for a while...until the fateful afternoon in February 05 when, with Spuddy Buddy gone to the grandparent's house, we three ladies decided to go see Phantom of the Opera. Well, we went. And that would have been the end. But it wasn't. Because we then decided, an hour later, to go see Finding Neverland. Two movies in one day-- oh horror! Oh doom!

Several months went by, until at length, in November, Pride and Prejudice came out. We rounded up some dear friends and went to see it, the day after it opened. At an 11:00 PM showing... ah, that was glamorous. Then, a couple of weeks later, we were with some more dear friends, and we decided that we wanted the experience of seeing it with them too. So we saw it again.

Which brings us to yesterday evening, when we went to see Narnia (more on that in a minute). We saw previews of three, three movies that we wanted to see-- Cars, the next Pixar movie, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, which I expect will be every bit as stupid and every bit as wonderful as the first, and Lady in the Water, by The-Guy-Who-Made-The-Village-and-Signs (we can never remember his name-- around here he is always referred to as Shamalama-ding-dong). Oh yes yes yes, I can't wait for that one. Just a side note, make sure you go watch the trailer for it, it's a piece of sheer genius. It is incredibly beautiful, makes you oh-so-curious about the movie, and-- best of all-- tells absolutely nothing about the movie. You can see it here.

Now, as for Narnia-- oh my word oh my word oh my word I say... it was incredible. Probably the strangest movie experience I have ever had, because the whole time it was like someone had plastered my imagination to the big screen. Everything looked just like I have imagined it, to the point that I gasped aloud many times. It was like seeing an old friend again. I actually cried, which those of you who know me know is just pretty remarkable. I don't really want to say anything about it, because everybody needs to experience it for themselves, but I will say that aside from the music (which was dismayfully loserish) there is really nothing wrong with this movie at all. It's amazing.

It also illustrates a time honored saying, or rather, a really bad paraphrase of a time-honored saying--

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that there is just really nothing like a guy on a horse with a sword."

So anyway, that's my confession. Dreadful, I know. I need help.

11 comments:

DonKhan said...

Caitlin, I can forgive you for thinking that six theater visits is a bad thing. I can even forgive you for that comment about your liking of the Beatles and CSN to be against your better judgement. but I cannot forgive your unfounded and rude dis of the Narnia music, which is excellent. not only was it excellently fit for the movie,(which, BTW, I watched twice, and loved the music both times) but every time that I have listened to it since getting the soundtrack has confirmed my belief that it is excellent music.

other than that, I'd say you are right on with regards to the movie.

good day :)

LaceyP said...

I have also seen Narnia twice and I loved everything about the movie...especially the music and I plan to get the soundtrack very soon! And I too, want to see M. Night Shyamalan's movie about the water...it looks super creepy and really good. I'm excited about it...

Laura Kathryn said...

I did love the movie. And I cried and cried...though this is not, perhaps, so remarkable for me. :)
I don't really remember the music.
The one thing that I do wish could have been done differently was the dialouge. Lewis was a master of words and the dialouge in the books is half of what makes them so wonderful and charming. I do wish they had used much more of it, and straight from the book too.
But that was the only thing that really bothered me.
I say bravo for the film.
And yes, Caitlin, there is really nothing like that it....Peter is so wonderful. :)

Owl of the Desert said...

Spoken truthfully...I, too, often felt throughout the movie that I had been there before in my head. And, the actors and actresses! Very, very close to how I pictured them. But, perhaps, that was because I had pictures in my book. :-)

Tim said...

We also loved Narnia. I didn't think much of the music the first time I saw it, but after seeing it again and listening to the soundtrack it has grown on me. Except the credit songs, which had no right to be there in the first place.

Laura Kathryn said...

Credit songs usually don't.

Pipsqueak said...

Credit songs done by Alanis Morisette especially. The one by Imogen what's-her-face I like better- meaning I actually like it as a song.
But other than that I love the music. I got the soundtrack for Christmas.

I saw Finding Neverland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Incredibles, Narnia, and Pride and Prejudice in the theaters. I think that was all though.
I did NOT see Phantom in the theater, though the music would have been really, really cool.

Anonymous said...

I love that paraphrased time- honored saying! It's very true.

M. Ivanolix said...

Your truth summarizes my opinion of all those epic fantasy movies. The books provide something more, but the movies are far too cool.

On a side note, I really wish I could have seen Pride and Prejudice at 11pm. Or Phantom of the Opera in theatres at all. *sigh*

Pipsqueak said...

On the "time-honoured saying:" I prefer a unicorn. :-D

Pipsqueak said...

On the "time-honoured saying:" I prefer a unicorn. :-D