September 15, 2005

Have Fab Vocab

Queen Shenaynay

We exhort the Beehive faithful to venture over to Merriam-Webster Online and subscribe to the Word of the Day, because we did, see... and it's possible that we may morph into etymological panjandrums right before your very eyes. We would not wish our gentle readers to apprehend us as verbally malapert should we begin weaving these Words of the Day into our daily entries here on the Beehive.

Here is a sample that I find particularly appealing:

riposte • \rih-POAST\ • noun
1 : a fencer's quick return thrust following a parry
*2 : a retaliatory verbal sally : retort
3 : a retaliatory maneuver or measure

Example sentence:
Lynn is a master of verbal riposte, able to dash off the kind of replies that most people only think of in the car on the way home.

[No, my friends, I did not make that up.]

2 comments:

rachel tsunami said...

(formerly: mess o'greens)

And for anyone who is a pig for this sort of thing, you can also sub to Dictionary.com Word of the Day
http://www.dictionary.com/wordoftheday/
To subscribe to the list by email, send a blank message to:
join-WordoftheDay@lists.lexico.com

This is the one I get, but you can be sure I have subbed on the M-W site as well.

Love them vocabulary words!

MommyLydia said...

I hear riposte used a LOT -- though usually in the "fencing" idea.

Repy to http://beehive5.blogspot.com/2005/09/have-fab-vocab.html:

Our elevator has work has a word of the day in its roundup everyday (LIke one day they had "aa" -- a type of lava... They've had other good ones but right now I can't think of them. Today's did not stick in my head) But anyway, today I was just thinking I'd like to find a place online that introduced me to new words like this!

So thanks!