April 4, 2005

Handsome, Clever, and Rich

Fa-So-La-La

WARNING-- SPOILERS! If you have not read or seen Emma, think twice before reading this post! :-)

Well, I have finished Emma again-- the last book in this round of Jane Austen. (Soooo sad.) I had never really seen before this reading the 'issue' or 'theme' of Emma, but this time it was just fascinating, and a subject that I was thinking about anyway. Don't you love it when that happens? :-) I have gotten so much wisdom and food for thought out of Jane Austen this time around-- I loved it before, but I did not truly see how great she was or thoroughly comprehend the ideas and themes behind the stories.

The main point of Emma is simplicity-- not simplicity as in ignorance or naivete, but as in openness and frankness, and a wholehearted approach to people and relationships. The book is really about honesty-- intellectual, emotional and spiritual honesty, as well as honesty in our dealings with others. Emma, at the beginning of the book, is about as dishonest within herself and with others as she can be. She fools herself constantly, lets her wishes color her observations and judgment, is artful in her relationships with even those who she mosts loves and trusts, is conceited, and lets herself indulge in if not completely unmerited then an inexusable self-conceit-- all the while convinced that her judgment is excellent, her insight unparalleled, and her plans and schemes unrivalled in wisdom and felicity. She is truly a mess.

As the book unfolds it is amazing and fascinating to watch layer after layer of her self-deception be stripped away. Starting with the mess with Mr. Elton and Harriet, and going through to her final and grand realization and self-discovery at the end, she progresses layer by layer through her pretentions and follies and conceits until she arrives at the point where there is nothing left but herself, and she realises how truly foolish that self is-- much like in Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis. The issues at the hearts of the two books are not the same, but the theme of self-discovery runs through and unifies both. Another post on this later-- there is much here to discuss!

Some will doubtless disagree with me (and if you do please leave your comments! I would love to hear other people's opinion on this), but to me the climax of the book is the two parties-- the afternoon at Donwell Abbey and the excursion to Box Hill. It is telling to me that right at the climax of the book Jane places these two events that so clearly show the difference in the designedly simple and natural and that which actually is simple and natural. It is a brilliant touch, designed to give a visual and anecdotal idea of the concept behind the book.

Think first about the two people involved- Mr. Knightly, the model in the book for simplicity (the good kind), honesty, and realness: and Mrs. Elton, the model of self-deception, self-conceit, pretension, and dishonesty. The opinions of Mr. Knightly and Mrs. Elton on the subject of the party at Donwell set forth what I mean perfectly (and hilariously):

(Mrs. Elton) "It is to be a morning scheme, you know, Knightly; quite a simple thing. I shall wear a large bonnet, and bring one of my little baskets hanging on my arm. Here,-- probably this basket with pink ribbon. Nothing can be more simple, you see. And Jane will have such another. There is to be no form or parade-- a sort of gipsy party.-- We are to walk about in your gardens, and gather the strawberries ourselves, and sit under the trees;-- and whatever else you may like to provide, it is all to be out of doors-- a table spread in the shade, you know. Everything as natural and simple as possible. Is not that your idea?"

(Mr. Knightly) "Not quite. My idea of the simple and the natural will be to have the table spread in the dining room. The nature and the simplicity of gentleman and ladies, with their servants and furniture, I think is best observed by meals within doors. When you are tired of eating strawberries in the garden, there shall be cold meat in the house." ........

(Mrs. Elton) "I wish we had a donkey. The thing would be for us all to come on donkies, Jane, Miss Bates, and me-- and my caro sposo walking by......."


How simple and natural. A pink basket with ribbons, and an entrance on a donkey.... I think I shall let this passage speak for itself.

The party at Donwell is delightful -- everything really real, everything the way the nature of people truly likes. It is spontaneous, simple, unscheduled-- everybody is allowed to be happy in their own way. The excursion to Box Hill on the other hand, under the guidence and planning of Mrs. Elton, is a complete and total disaster. It is hot, the party is out of spirits, nobody really enjoys themselves, everybody is offended by something. But most noteworthy of all the aspects of it is the unnatural and forced character of it-- nobody is quite themselves, and most especially Emma and Frank. Frank reaches a level of gaiety and gallantry unbearable even to Emma, and she under his influence is the same, abandoning her usual propriety and making herself unpleasant to all.

It is immediately after this (and largely due to it) that everything begins to come clear and many things are made plain as the book winds up to its conclusion. Emma sees her pretentions and superficialities and follies, and repents.....and everybody lives happily ever after.

This book, besides having these issues covered in so fascinating and insightful a way, also is one of the most hilarious books ever written. The comedy of the people around Emma is brilliantly written and laugh-out-loud funny. The writing style and organization of the plot is, as always, clean, concise, and elegant, and to add to all that, is Mr. Knightly just the COOLEST or WHAT? :-) Seriously, I think Mr. Knightly, of all the men in Jane's writing, is the one most deserving to be admired and emulated. He is truly Knightly.

Anyway, even though this time around my favorite has been Mansfield Park, Emma is so delightful that every time I read it I think it is the best. If you have not read it, please, do yourself a favor and do so immediately!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

>>>and to add to all that, is Mr. Knightly just the COOLEST or WHAT? :-) Seriously, I think Mr. Knightly, of all the men in Jane's writing, is the one most deserving to be admired and emulated. He is truly Knightly.<<<

I hope that you are not just noticing the nobleness of Mr. Knightlys charecter. He is to be imitated indeed.

TheHeadGirl said...

I cannot make many comments at the moment, because it has been longest since I've read Emma (it's next on my Austen Re-Read List). I intend to come back to this post after I have read it again and then comment, if you're still interested.

Anonymous said...

Always interested in your views, dahling!

Mama Squirrel said...

I just finished Northanger Abbey for the first time ever (the last of Austen's "real books" that I hadn't read, although I still want to check out the ones that didn't really get done), and I thought it was funnier even than Emma in some parts. I had trouble really believing in Henry and Catherine's romance, though...just had to take it for granted that the author knew what she was doing there.