March 26, 2005

"This Day is Called the Feast of Crispin"

The Shieldmaiden

I just finished watching Henry V for the second time, and what a good movie it is, too. I love the part at the end of the battle, when the French messenger is fighting people away from Henry. So cool.

Sometimes I find myself thinking that Shakespeare's histories are better when you are watching them rather than reading them.

Too bad Henry VI lost it all back to France. I mean, after his father did all that to win France, he had to go and lose it! Somehow that doesn't seem right.

If you are going to watch a movie of the play, watch the Kenneth Branaugh version, not the one with the dear pokerface, Sir Lawrence. Branaugh's is much better.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

>>Sometimes I find myself thinking that Shakespeare's histories are better when you are watching them rather than reading them.<<

Ah! I think you are on to something there, Shieldmaiden. ;) Think about the fact that, being plays, they were *meant* to be watched rather than read.

And yes, I agree with you about the movies, in spite of a lasting devotion to Olivier. There is something great in his acting---the subtilties, the nuances. Still, overall Branaugh's Henry V simply takes my breath away.

fa-so-la-la said...

Did y'all think that maybe Branaugh was a little more sympathetic to Henry than Shakspeare? We read the play for school in October and there is an underlying cynicism almost in some of Shakespeare's comments, whereas Branaugh is a very whole hearted, admiring portrayal.

Unknown said...

Haha, that is a good point mess o' greens. As for Fa-so-ls-ls and the shieldmaiden I have to say that I will be mailing your CD case back soon with a letter to all ya'll. I won't be on this blog much so we might want to find a better way of communication rather than this if that is ok with ya'll.

Unknown said...

Ummm...hello sheildymaiden. Are ya'll ignoring me because we moved and you haven't heard from us yet?
Well hold on because you will soon enough.

ithchick said...

I love that movie, Branaugh is fantastic. I love the scene with the traitors. The song at the end is incredible,the sound of a guys only ensemble is awesome(especially bases[that was for thermocryptphobianism and darkside])