February 22, 2005

Outrageously happy, like we said...

Homeschooled Adults are Happier than Most

A Review of Dr. Brian Ray's "Home Educated And Now Adults: 2004 Study"
by Debra Bell


A 2004 study of 7000 adults who were homeschooled during their elementary and secondary school years compiles data on 205 variables, including demographics and attitudes toward homeschooling. The researchers’ conclusions dispel many commonly held myths about homeschooling in regards to socialization, civic involvement, academic success and personal happiness. Some of the more notable findings follow:


76% of the respondents “strongly agreed” with the statement “I’m glad I was homeschooled; and 19% “agreed”. Only 4% “didn’t agree” or had “no opinion.

82% of the respondents said they would homeschool their own children.

The most common occupation listed was full-time student [49%], followed by homemaker/home educator [7.3%], other [7.9%] and professional [6.8%].

74% of the home-educated respondents ages 18 to 24 had attained some college courses or higher; compared with 46% of the general U.S. population ages 18-24.

71% of the respondents are participating in an ongoing community service activity; such as, coaching, volunteering, or working with a church or civic organization.

94% of the respondents strongly agreed or agreed with the statement, “My religious beliefs are basically the same as those of my parents.”

Taking all things into consideration, 59% of the respondents reported that they were “very happy” with life, while 27% of the general U.S. population is “very happy” with life.

This first-of-its-kind glimpse into the lives and minds of post-homeschooled graduates is available from National Home Education Research Institute for $9.95.

2 comments:

X said...

Are you saying I will be happier being home schooled rather than if I were public schooled? I sure hope so because I think I will be. : )

TheHeadGirl said...

*beams* Finally, a survey I can say I participated in.