February 21, 2005

F Major!

Whoopeee! All you musical Jane Austen fans, I have found it! The words to the song Marianne plays in the movie of Sense and Sensibility! Here they are. Now I just need to figure out the chord progression she plays on the piano. . . .

Tears

Weep you no more, sad fountains;
What need you flow so fast?
Look how the snowy mountains
Heaven's sun doth gently waste!
But my Sun's heavenly eyes
View not your weeping,
That now lies sleeping
Softly, now softly lies
Sleeping.

Sleep is a reconciling
A rest that peace begets;
Doth not the sun rise smiling
When fair at even he sets?
Rest you then, rest sad eyes!
Melt not in weeping,
While she lies sleeping
Softly now softly lies
Sleeping.

-- Anonymous

Oh, drat, *another* post on a Jane Austen related issue! I seriously need to get a life. :-)

3 comments:

Lynn Bruce said...

Get a life? You? Come now, my dear Fa-So-La-La. To paraphrase the immortal words of Charlotte Mason, Austen is an Atmosphere, a Discipline, and yes... a Life.

TheHeadGirl said...

To paraphrase the immortal words of Charlotte Mason, Austen is an Atmosphere, a Discipline, and yes... a Life.Of course! I have copied that inestimable quote and put it up on my bedroom wall.

Fa-So-La-La, I came across that poem in the Oxford Book of Poetry a few nights ago and would have uttered a loud roar of approval, but was stayed by the fact that Pipsqueak was sleeping soundly in the room.

Unknown said...

Please make your blogs smaller, miss fa-so-la-la. I'm not as smart as you and I think you should know that. I at least have a short attention span and I can't quiet pay attention for more than a couple of paragraphs.
TTYL at Boot Camp.